Sunday, April 1, 2012

Monday daydreams: The Darjeeling Toy Train


I haven't allowed myself to really think about our trips to Indonesia and India this summer.  First, standing between me and that trip are 3 more months of living in Cambodia, a consultancy that needs to be completed, a visit by my sisters and Ryan, and a few trips to the far-off provinces  in Cambodia, to Bangkok, and maybe even to Manila. Oh, and taxes!  In other words, there's a lot to do before then.

I am headed to the Indian Embassy tomorrow, for Try No. 2 on my Indian visa.  I was warned that the process may not be as straightforward as with other consulates.  Try No. 1 was a failure.

And with that small step, with that small acquiescence into my upcoming summer holiday, I have allowed myself to linger on one daydream.  It involves a ride on the Darjeeling Toy Train, up and up to the Himalayan town of Darjeeling. There's too much to see in India and with a little over three weeks there, we will focus only on the Northeastern part of the country ... but maybe dip into Nepal!!! 

I admit I'm a little excited.

2 comments:

  1. ooooo, I hope you do dip to Nepal while in India. I've always wanted to go there but never made it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It would be such a short trip, though. I think Nepal is really one of those places that you dedicate an entire trip to, but I don't think I will be able to resist the lure of crossing the border to one town. It's so close! The other option was Bangladesh, but my friends were like, "Really, do you like seeing evictions and slum communities during vacation too?"

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...