Monday, April 9, 2012

Cooking in Colorado: Po' Boy Sandwiches

In January, I spent 6 days with Ethan's family in their vacation house in the Colorado mountains.  It was so cold and when I think about it now, I was absolutely out of my element.  Ethan grew up with skiing, snow-shoeing, and other winter activities.  I did not.  I grew up with the warmth  of Southern California, with its endless highways.  Their house has a "mud room."  I had never heard of a mud room before.  There are more examples, but I won't bore you.

Despite being out of my element, I had such a wonderful time.  What made that week so great was the warmth of his family, including his super sweet, progressive mother (I know now where he gets his patient disposition), who was happy to show me pictures of a baby Ethan and with whom I chatted one night until the early morning hours about life's twists, Cambodia, and love. To me, it will always be a week of hot cocoa drinking, fireplace-sitting, and lazy strolls in the snow - and getting to know his family. 

During that week, all of us took turns cooking.  I volunteered to make creme brulee french toast one morning, but I botched it up.  And, well, with a name like "creme brulee french toast," expectations are set high, and no amount of Grand Marnier liqueur or orange zest can fix it.

One evening, after a day of running around in the cold, Ethan made shrimp po' boy sandwiches. Yum.  But what really stood out for me was the remoulade sauce he made as dressing for the sandwiches.  It was an adaptation of the recipe below.  And it was delicious.
 
Creole Remoulade

Makes 2 cups.

Ingredients
  • 3/4 cup vegetable oil
  • 1/2 cup chopped green onions (green and white parts)
  • 1/2 cup chopped yellow onions
  • 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
  • 1/4 cup chopped celery
  • 3 tablespoons Creole or other whole-grain mustard
  • 3 tablespoons ketchup
  • 3 tablespoons chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
  • 2 tablespoons chopped garlic
  • 2 tablespoons prepared horseradish
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1/4 teaspoon cayenne
  • 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper

Instructions

Combine all the ingredients in a blender or a food processor fitted with a steel blade and process until fairly smooth, about 30 seconds.

Transfer to an airtight container and refrigerate for at least 1 hour before using. (The sauce will keep for up to one week in the refrigerator.)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...