We moved from the early morning muezzin calls and pre-Ramadan celebrations on the island of Java to Bali, where daily rituals are steeped in Hindu culture. A few reasons why I loved Ubud:
- Hindu culture and art in the daily offerings, which can be found lining the sidewalks
- Frangipani flowers everywhere - dotted on the sidewalks, on the bed linens, everywhere!
- Morning cups of tea with a view of the rice paddies and the family shrines below
- Soursop and cinnamon jam on crepes (so good)
- The Sacred Monkey Forest Sanctuary (more on that later) and runaway monkeys
And most importantly, Ethan proposed while we were in Ubud, with a ring his late grandfather gave to his grandmother! I was all tears.