Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Experiments with linen


Erica's post about linen shirts - which can be alluringly crumpled, easy and chic - inspired my recent trip to the Cambodia tailor.  Linen is one of the most breathable fabrics out there, and it tends to get softer with each washing.  Plus, it is quite substantial, so it can take the wear that Cambodia dishes out.  (My clothes are taking a beating here.)  I don't know why I was never a fan of linen before.  

I didn't go to Monika, my usual tailor, but tried one of the many sewing stalls in Toul Tumpong, a.k.a. Russian Market.  I purchased the fabric - linen in an uncharacteristic (to me) shade of raspberry.  The tailor took my measurements.  I asked for a looser fit, but with fitted sleeves that I could roll up.  Two weeks later, I picked up the shirt and paid the fee, $7.  The quality was better than I had expected.   
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...