Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Portland Memories. Or, Melancholy Me.







As my remaining days in Portland reach single digits, I'm feeling melancholy. I fell in love with Portland, Oregon after a spur-of-the moment drive from Los Angeles (then my home) to Vancouver BC. I still remember driving up the I-5, the concrete jungle giving way to abundant nature. And there she lay, this little city in the forest, a gem.

I moved to Portland with hopes to study environmental law. I did. But what I gained during the last six years was so much more than that: friendships and loves that have shaped, grounded and inspired me, an understanding and curiosity of systemic societal contradictions and ailments that has compelled me into the field I am now entering, an appreciation for good coffee, micro-brewed beers and seasons ... and I managed to buy more Mayle during my stay here! Ha.

How will I spend my final days in Portland? Besides the necessary purging-packing-storing-repeat process, I will spend time with friends. I will walk outside my neighborhood and enjoy the rain and rare sunbreaks. I will drink coffee and micro-brews as only Portland can do.

Tonight, however, I am taking a walk around my 'hood with a friend.

1 comment:

  1. I've been to Portland only once. It was a nice place, only almost always wet. loved it though.

    love the photos, and love your blog!

    Good luck on your new adventures!

    xoxo,
    andyquirks.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...