Saturday, February 16, 2013

So fast.



Sometimes life comes at you, all at once, so fast.  Earlier this week, my sister called me in the  middle of the night.  Even on the cusp of consciousness and sleep, I knew something was wrong.  My grandma Martina, who I visited in Mindanao last October, had passed away, just a few days after my parents and sisters flew to the southern provinces to celebrate her 90th birthday.  I did not go.

That entire day, I was floating.  I count only two and a half hours where I was focused and that was during my interviews with the Syrian asylum-seeker brothers.  In their talks of bombs, their memories surrounding the sounds of constant gunfire, of death around each corner, I found concentration.

But the rest of the day was gone.

In the next two weeks, I have to wrap up my cases, go to Mindanao for my grandmother's funeral, go back to Bangkok, pack, and then make a huge move to the US.   This week (and the next few) will be an exercise in compartmentalization.  

4 comments:

  1. I'm so sorry for your loss, Jocy. Sending you lots of love and good thoughts. Thinking of you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aww Jocy, condolences. Hang in there, and have a safe trip to Mindanao.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jocy, I'm sorry for your big loss. Hugs to you! We're here in the states side as both of my husband sisters passed away, five months apart. it was a whirlwind.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi guys, Thanks for these words.

    Ping- my condolences to your family! Too much whirlwind right now.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...