Sunday, January 5, 2014

Cambodge


The news trickling in from Cambodia is heartbreaking.  Even in the few years that I lived there, I could see the wave of escalating violence. Communities, tired of land-grabs and abuse by the political elite, demanded more, which authorities often met with increasing resistance and crackdowns.  Ingrained in my memory is the same elderly Khmer woman, frail and grey-haired, standing in front of the police squads, crying, eventually beaten down or pushed aside.  I can't count how many times I saw her at the front of the protester lines. I hope friends are staying safe.

Sometimes I forget about these things. A new normalcy has taken over.  Cambodia feels like a dream.

2 comments:

  1. cambodia stays with me always. thank you for sharing, jocy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Poor cambodian people, police is very violent in Cambodia. They dont hesitate to shoot.
    Cambodge

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...