Friday, September 2, 2011

Lephet Thoke - Burmese Tea Leaf Salad

via flickr

Two nights ago, I had dinner with two incredible women at the Burmese restaurant in Phnom Penh, Irrawaddi. Both women work in human rights law in the region and have been in Cambodia for years longer than me. We spent the evening catching up and generally laughing. I am astounded by their ability to balance their life and to remain seemingly healthy and happy. How do people stop the work from sticking?

But this post isn't about the tolls of work in this country. It's about the tea leaf salad. No lettuce - just red chili peppers, roasted peanuts, lime, cilantro, fermented tea leaves, tomato, and garlic. It doesn't sound like it, but it is good.

2 comments:

  1. I was gonna say the salad doesn't sound so appetizing, I wish I could try it too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. admittedly, fermented tea leaves doesn't sound tasty, but all the flavors work here.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...