Saturday, April 12, 2014

Coveting

 both images via

The sun is out this weekend. It has been a balmy 78 degrees.  Too bad this week was one of those crazy previously-caffeinated, oft-frenetic weeks, where I'm holed up in a certain international institution's buildings for 10-13 hours a day.  I'm simply exhausted.

I mean, there's often a lot of good in these weeks.  One night, I caught up with R, who I initially met in Bangkok and who works all over the world on reproductive rights.  Joining us was another R, who I met on this "human rights bus," years ago, as I was monitoring a trial in Cambodia.  The night wore on, with stories of travels/election monitoring in Armenia, and recent work trips to Nepal, and exchange of gossip from post-Cambodia days.

So a wonderful thing about these hellish weeks is that I get to see friends and colleagues from all over the world.  I'm reminded that there is a small, but strong, global community working on these issues.  In between cursing as I run around this and that meeting, I am struck by the realization that I'm lucky to be doing this type of international work, strange a niche as it may be.

But right now, I'm just at the point of physical exhaustion.  I keep telling myself that I just need to get through a few more days of meetings, and then maybe, just maybe, I'll take several days off and find a reason to buy an Ace & Jig dress.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...