Sunday, October 28, 2012

The state of things.


I live in the land of dresses. You can't walk a few hundred meters without stumbling onto a sidewalk dress shop, or a shiny mall (my goodness, this city has so many and it boggles my mind how there can be such demand), or a vintage shop in an outdoor market, or an underground subway shop. The quality varies of course, but the colorful dress is ubiquitous in Bangkok.

I have been cooking in again.  Japanese curry tonight, more bircher muesli for breakfast tomorrow. I am dreaming of baked figs, of lentilles du puy, of rustic plum galettes - and I have not made chana masala in ages.  That needs to change.

I am growing more obsessed with Dream Collective, and I think a visit to the store is due this December. 

I am still thinking of my grandmother Martina and my visit to Zamboanga City, which is a culturally rich, but unstable, city in a region of the country where military presence is strong and grenade and/or bomb attacks occasionally make news (as they did during my visit).  I am thinking of my Dad's childhood home, on a parcel of land, green, overgrown with dense trees and overlooking the Sulu Sea.  

I am thinking of work, of sitting in a small room across a table from a woman seeking refuge.

I am thinking of wedding bands and honeymoon plans and small ceremonies held against the backdrop of the Rocky Mountains.    

I need to send in my absentee ballot!

9 comments:

  1. Mmm... bircher muesli! I actually haven't made it in a while, your comment on my post reminded me how good it is and how I really should whip up a batch! Also reminded me about my absentee ballot, I sent in the application but haven't received anything yet! I do hope I'll be able to vot efrom overseas... Anyway, thanks for stopping by and commenting,

    http://dragonspalate.blogspot.com.es

    /http://nomadic-d.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, The batch sitting in the fridge is the version on your blog - no raisins! You can send in your ballot using the emergency clause. That's what I have to do because I haven't received my ballot in the mail either.

      Delete
    2. If you do not receive your special absentee ballot at least 30 days before the November 6, 2012, General Election, you should use the Federal Write-In Absentee Ballot. This write-in ballot is available at www.fvap.gov/resources/media/fwab.pdf or can be completed online using FVAP’s Federal Write-In Absentee Ballot automated assistant.

      Delete
  2. I LOVE Dream Collective! I have the earrings version of your necklace.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Michelle, I want those earrings. Do you have the small or large size? And are they heavy? I really like that season.

      Delete
    2. Hi Jocy, I have the small size: http://dreamcollective.com/collections/dream-collective/products/crystal-mountain-earring-small. They have a nice heft but are not heavy at all. The back side is a bit concave, so that lessens the weight. They're a tad over one inch in height, including earwire. I just looked through the website and started drooling over all of the new designs!

      Delete
    3. Yeah, you've convinced me. Thanks for the input.

      Delete
  3. Love the prints! Coincidentally, I made Japanese curry last night- it's so easy to make and is delicious. Glad to hear that you're enjoying Bangkok.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Tee. Japanese curry is comfort food to me and yes, so easy.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...